Sample Essay Rubric for Elementary Teachers
- Grading Students for Assessment
- Lesson Plans
- Becoming A Teacher
- Assessments & Tests
- Elementary Education
- Special Education
- M.S., Education, Buffalo State College
- B.S., Education, Buffalo State College
An essay rubric is a way teachers assess students' essay writing by using specific criteria to grade assignments. Essay rubrics save teachers time because all of the criteria are listed and organized into one convenient paper. If used effectively, rubrics can help improve students' writing .
How to Use an Essay Rubric
- The best way to use an essay rubric is to give the rubric to the students before they begin their writing assignment. Review each criterion with the students and give them specific examples of what you want so they will know what is expected of them.
- Next, assign students to write the essay, reminding them of the criteria and your expectations for the assignment.
- Once students complete the essay have them first score their own essay using the rubric, and then switch with a partner. (This peer-editing process is a quick and reliable way to see how well the student did on their assignment. It's also good practice to learn criticism and become a more efficient writer.)
- Once peer-editing is complete, have students hand in their essay's. Now it is your turn to evaluate the assignment according to the criteria on the rubric. Make sure to offer students examples if they did not meet the criteria listed.
Informal Essay Rubric
Formal essay rubric.
- How to Create a Rubric in 6 Steps
- Writing Rubrics
- What Is a Rubric?
- Holistic Grading (Composition)
- How to Make a Rubric for Differentiation
- A Simple Guide to Grading Elementary Students
- How to Write a Philosophy of Education for Elementary Teachers
- Tips to Cut Writing Assignment Grading Time
- Assignment Biography: Student Criteria and Rubric for Writing
- Rubrics - Quick Guide for all Content Areas
- How to Teach the Compare and Contrast Essay
- How to Calculate a Percentage and Letter Grade
- Rubric Template Samples for Teachers
- Group Project Grading Tip: Students Determine Fair Grade
- Grading for Proficiency in the World of 4.0 GPAs
- Stage a Debate in Class
By clicking “Accept All Cookies”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts.
Center for Excellence in Teaching
Home > Resources > Academic essay rubric
Academic essay rubric
This is a grading rubric an instructor uses to assess students’ work on this type of assignment. It is a sample rubric that needs to be edited to reflect the specifics of a particular assignment.
Download this file
Download this file [63.33 KB]
Back to Resources Page