- Word of the day
- Random word
Words To Use In Creative Writing
A list of 227 words by revengeance .
Tip: Add several words or phrases at once by separating them with semicolons. Don't worry about surrounding whitespace -- we'll ignore it.
- incipient 1633730194 and appears on 198 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 198 lists
- simulacrum 1632554303 and appears on 208 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 208 lists
- untinctured 1628239548 and appears on 4 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 4 lists
- prodigious 1628239395 and appears on 169 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 169 lists
- solicitude 1628239047 and appears on 75 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 75 lists
- lour 1616231066 and appears on 32 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 32 lists
- sirocco 1616230084 and appears on 37 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 37 lists
- sanguinary 1616229984 and appears on 73 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 73 lists
- mephitic 1613652944 and appears on 97 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 97 lists
- pitchy 1613652469 and appears on 10 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 10 lists
- sangfroid 1508246196 and appears on 121 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 121 lists
- sepulchral 1508245817 and appears on 97 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 97 lists
- trepidation 1508245783 and appears on 161 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 161 lists
- gravitas 1507589476 and appears on 106 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 106 lists
- venerable 1498372846 and appears on 89 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 89 lists
- placid 1498372778 and appears on 121 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 121 lists
- listless 1498372722 and appears on 107 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 107 lists
- sedition 1492109775 and appears on 104 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 104 lists
- aquiline 1491989232 and appears on 106 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 106 lists
- gossamer 1467255007 and appears on 298 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 298 lists
- mercurial 1459381025 and appears on 375 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 375 lists
- providence 1457126531 and appears on 67 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 67 lists
- scion 1456477173 and appears on 114 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 114 lists
- eidolon 1446927151 and appears on 150 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 150 lists
- emancipation 1446834991 and appears on 27 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 27 lists
- ossify 1445985049 and appears on 128 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 128 lists
- tottering 1445980094 and appears on 11 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 11 lists
- adulation 1445959484 and appears on 96 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 96 lists
- austere 1445958399 and appears on 240 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 240 lists
- ascetic 1445958312 and appears on 227 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 227 lists
- swinish 1445716548 and appears on 15 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 15 lists
- cankerous 1445716275 and appears on 5 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 5 lists
- grope 1445712673 and appears on 42 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 42 lists
- plight 1445712378 and appears on 94 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 94 lists
- lurid 1378054149 and appears on 220 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 220 lists
- subjugate 1378054105 and appears on 78 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 78 lists
- autonomous 1376699667 and appears on 66 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 66 lists
- cautionary 1376699088 and appears on 8 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 8 lists
- metropolis 1376697364 and appears on 42 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 42 lists
- diadem 1376697201 and appears on 84 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 84 lists
- orator 1376697055 and appears on 31 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 31 lists
- abnegation 1370910958 and appears on 92 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 92 lists
- scruple 1370910729 and appears on 80 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 80 lists
- culpable 1370910702 and appears on 86 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 86 lists
- spurious 1370910640 and appears on 308 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 308 lists
- pernicious 1370910505 and appears on 376 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 376 lists
- sanguine 1370910426 and appears on 545 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 545 lists
- parlance 1370910291 and appears on 103 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 103 lists
- unflinching 1370910265 and appears on 16 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 16 lists
- tipple 1370910153 and appears on 47 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 47 lists
- offshoot 1370910026 and appears on 8 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 8 lists
- mainspring 1370909999 and appears on 10 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 10 lists
- ineptness 1370909996 and appears on 2 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 2 lists
- sedulous 1370909877 and appears on 271 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 271 lists
- enthroned 1370909827 and appears on 4 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 4 lists
- decry 1370909804 and appears on 101 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 101 lists
- lathe 1370909730 and appears on 56 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 56 lists
- fellowship 1370909647 and appears on 33 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 33 lists
- swain 1370909538 and appears on 49 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 49 lists
- coarse 1370909480 and appears on 47 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 47 lists
- prig 1370909394 and appears on 58 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 58 lists
- untrammelled 1370909299 and appears on 14 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 14 lists
- drawing-room 1370909286 and appears on 4 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 4 lists
- antipathetic 1370909098 and appears on 16 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 16 lists
- candid 1370909083 and appears on 149 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 149 lists
- impassioned 1370908940 and appears on 36 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 36 lists
- vestry 1370908849 and appears on 31 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 31 lists
- staunch 1370908800 and appears on 93 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 93 lists
- substratum 1370908784 and appears on 15 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 15 lists
- calving 1370908700 and appears on 7 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 7 lists
- bevy 1370908695 and appears on 89 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 89 lists
- fervid 1370908612 and appears on 115 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 115 lists
- heterodox 1370908494 and appears on 79 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 79 lists
- pachydermatous 1370908319 and appears on 11 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 11 lists
- palpitating 1370908133 and appears on 5 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 5 lists
- novelty 1370908088 and appears on 39 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 39 lists
- noctambulist 1370908055 and appears on 8 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 8 lists
- twain 1370908040 and appears on 32 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 32 lists
- noontide 1370907983 and appears on 15 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 15 lists
- barton 1370907945 and appears on 7 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 7 lists
- sultry 1370907833 and appears on 99 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 99 lists
- sunder 1370907783 and appears on 74 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 74 lists
- reticence 1370907676 and appears on 73 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 73 lists
- excitation 1370907612 and appears on 12 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 12 lists
- qualm 1370907566 and appears on 127 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 127 lists
- iteration 1370907487 and appears on 45 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 45 lists
- milcher 1370907408 and appears on 3 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 3 lists
- pail 1370907370 and appears on 14 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 14 lists
- diurnal 1370907245 and appears on 112 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 112 lists
- obsequiously 1370907226 and appears on 14 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 14 lists
- pulverize 1370907043 and appears on 41 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 41 lists
- fervour 1370906978 and appears on 13 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 13 lists
- purl 1370906907 and appears on 71 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 71 lists
- enervating 1370906797 and appears on 30 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 30 lists
- entail 1370828378 and appears on 62 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 62 lists
- choragus 1370828364 and appears on 8 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 8 lists
- Teutonism 1370828325 and appears on just this list was added by revengeance and appears on just this list
- embryonic 1370828200 and appears on 41 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 41 lists
- vandyke 1370828151 and appears on 9 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 9 lists
- hibernal 1370827993 and appears on 36 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 36 lists
- nascence 1370827854 and appears on 11 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 11 lists
- tycoon 1370827769 and appears on 37 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 37 lists
- anthropocentric 1370827699 and appears on 10 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 10 lists
- diggings 1370827675 and appears on 5 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 5 lists
- snow-blind 1370827576 and appears on 4 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 4 lists
- ignobility 1370827567 and appears on 9 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 9 lists
- beakhead 1370827545 and appears on 5 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 5 lists
- pawky 1370827485 and appears on 26 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 26 lists
- balderdash 1370827464 and appears on 127 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 127 lists
- shopworn 1370827447 and appears on 7 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 7 lists
- pudding 1370827412 and appears on 48 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 48 lists
- postern 1370827299 and appears on 42 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 42 lists
- predominance 1370827214 and appears on 8 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 8 lists
- brigand 1370101810 and appears on 67 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 67 lists
- omnipotence 1330037474 and appears on 13 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 13 lists
- aspirate 1329392744 and appears on 26 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 26 lists
- venerate 1328836588 and appears on 128 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 128 lists
- truism 1328519814 and appears on 46 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 46 lists
- precarious 1327689543 and appears on 185 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 185 lists
- irksome 1326827099 and appears on 62 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 62 lists
- lodestar 1326401356 and appears on 55 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 55 lists
- pert 1326398707 and appears on 89 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 89 lists
- cesspool 1326224581 and appears on 28 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 28 lists
- adrift 1326224465 and appears on 35 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 35 lists
- derelict 1326224414 and appears on 162 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 162 lists
- transgression 1326224311 and appears on 69 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 69 lists
- admonition 1326024571 and appears on 60 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 60 lists
- inculcation 1326024534 and appears on 10 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 10 lists
- unctuous 1326024360 and appears on 289 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 289 lists
- ingratiating 1326024283 and appears on 42 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 42 lists
- profanity 1325841319 and appears on 27 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 27 lists
- predisposition 1325759090 and appears on 18 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 18 lists
- jargon 1325616457 and appears on 105 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 105 lists
- amiable 1325615149 and appears on 119 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 119 lists
- obliging 1325615110 and appears on 24 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 24 lists
- imperious 1325614914 and appears on 155 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 155 lists
- scarlet 1325127585 and appears on 105 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 105 lists
- perplexed 1325127464 and appears on 59 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 59 lists
- clamorously 1325120819 and appears on 6 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 6 lists
- harken 1325120780 and appears on 18 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 18 lists
- pithy 1325120649 and appears on 253 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 253 lists
- perdition 1325120419 and appears on 96 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 96 lists
- flaying 1325120349 and appears on 6 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 6 lists
- vociferate 1325120222 and appears on 26 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 26 lists
- prognosticate 1325120171 and appears on 98 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 98 lists
- dour 1325119961 and appears on 141 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 141 lists
- embellishment 1325119867 and appears on 23 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 23 lists
- kindling 1325119598 and appears on 32 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 32 lists
- tumbler 1325119512 and appears on 24 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 24 lists
- expostulate 1325119461 and appears on 85 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 85 lists
- hitherto 1325010793 and appears on 100 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 100 lists
- entreat 1325010557 and appears on 59 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 59 lists
- delectable 1325009176 and appears on 137 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 137 lists
- bigotry 1324954745 and appears on 41 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 41 lists
- bouffant 1324857172 and appears on 48 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 48 lists
- gush 1324857062 and appears on 47 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 47 lists
- fray 1324856957 and appears on 71 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 71 lists
- launder 1324856708 and appears on 13 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 13 lists
- gallant 1324856100 and appears on 77 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 77 lists
- girth 1324704366 and appears on 52 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 52 lists
- indomitable 1324703806 and appears on 96 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 96 lists
- sojourn 1324703684 and appears on 100 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 100 lists
- tardy 1324703392 and appears on 35 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 35 lists
- putative 1324679648 and appears on 154 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 154 lists
- thrifty 1324679614 and appears on 39 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 39 lists
- gazebo 1324525028 and appears on 57 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 57 lists
- diabolical 1324315564 and appears on 107 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 107 lists
- chide 1324195782 and appears on 88 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 88 lists
- churlish 1323979221 and appears on 246 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 246 lists
- despondency 1323979037 and appears on 26 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 26 lists
- perky 1323978843 and appears on 31 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 31 lists
- innocuous 1323978789 and appears on 284 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 284 lists
- array 1323883142 and appears on 62 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 62 lists
- discourse 1323882866 and appears on 103 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 103 lists
- prudence 1323882816 and appears on 61 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 61 lists
- runty 1323393888 and appears on 4 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 4 lists
- mellifluous 1323200103 and appears on 549 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 549 lists
- heaven-born 1322079573 and appears on 3 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 3 lists
- redemptive 1322079391 and appears on 13 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 13 lists
- mentor 1321903547 and appears on 79 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 79 lists
- unfathomable 1321470071 and appears on 51 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 51 lists
- quell 1321100289 and appears on 144 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 144 lists
- pacify 1321100184 and appears on 43 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 43 lists
- vex 1321100129 and appears on 159 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 159 lists
- frolic 1321100022 and appears on 89 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 89 lists
- frolicsome 1321099963 and appears on 43 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 43 lists
- frisky 1321099930 and appears on 35 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 35 lists
- prance 1321099750 and appears on 39 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 39 lists
- recapitulate 1321099658 and appears on 86 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 86 lists
- ascertain 1321099524 and appears on 97 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 97 lists
- rectify 1321099469 and appears on 77 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 77 lists
- amend 1321099444 and appears on 38 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 38 lists
- profess 1321099190 and appears on 23 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 23 lists
- shapeless 1321062366 and appears on 14 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 14 lists
- grubby 1321062264 and appears on 22 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 22 lists
- soggy 1321062217 and appears on 24 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 24 lists
- frilly 1321061704 and appears on 18 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 18 lists
- diaphanous 1321061674 and appears on 316 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 316 lists
- pudgy 1321061137 and appears on 23 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 23 lists
- obdurate 1320967002 and appears on 281 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 281 lists
- supple 1320959797 and appears on 107 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 107 lists
- rangy 1320959708 and appears on 25 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 25 lists
- glary 1320959605 and appears on 8 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 8 lists
- thundercloud 1320959561 and appears on 5 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 5 lists
- embezzle 1320959416 and appears on 53 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 53 lists
- fiddle 1320959336 and appears on 50 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 50 lists
- bowery 1320959283 and appears on 23 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 23 lists
- escapist 1320956093 and appears on 11 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 11 lists
- hoity-toity 1320956057 and appears on 45 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 45 lists
- haughty 1320956013 and appears on 199 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 199 lists
- affable 1320955924 and appears on 172 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 172 lists
- coquette 1320886208 and appears on 121 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 121 lists
- jilt 1320886173 and appears on 30 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 30 lists
- crosscut 1320698743 and appears on 6 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 6 lists
- lenitive 1320698619 and appears on 36 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 36 lists
- assuasive 1320698506 and appears on 24 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 24 lists
- gauche 1320698242 and appears on 184 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 184 lists
- uncourtly 1320698058 and appears on 2 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 2 lists
- sycophantic 1320697999 and appears on 60 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 60 lists
- bulging 1320582869 and appears on 8 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 8 lists
- sodden 1320580717 and appears on 84 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 84 lists
- insipid 1320580431 and appears on 350 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 350 lists
- fatuous 1320580289 and appears on 269 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 269 lists
- longshanks 1320580019 and appears on 11 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 11 lists
- wendigo 1320579839 and appears on 33 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 33 lists
- light-heeled 1320579542 and appears on 8 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 8 lists
- hag-ridden 1320579464 and appears on 13 lists was added by revengeance and appears on 13 lists
This list has no description.
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.
- About Wordnik
- @[email protected]
- Send Us Feedback!
- Need Support?
- Advanced Search
Wordnik is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, EIN #47-2198092.
- (65) 9646 0930
10 Beautiful Words You Can Use in Narrative / Descriptive Writing | Secondary School
- Posted By blog-user
Have you ever asked yourself: what makes a word beautiful? Is it because of what it means or the way it sounds? According to British linguist David Crystal in his article titled, “Phonaesthetically Speaking”, we tend to love words that have three or more syllables and include letters that we enjoy enunciating like “ m ” and “ l ”. Simply put, beautiful words are lovely to read and sound pleasant to our ears.
For Secondary English students, such charming words with positive connotations can be used to bedazzle your reader. Let’s explore ten beautiful words which not only sound great but will also be useful in painting vivid pictures for your examiners (especially for narrative and descriptive writing). With the examples provided below, try coming up with your own sentences to use these words! (:
1. Compelling (adj.)
Meaning: (something e.g. a reason, argument) that makes you pay attention to it because it is interesting and exciting
Synonym: enthralling, captivating, gripping
I found it hard to look away from his compelling eyes that seemed to ask me to inch closer. It was such a compelling story that I ended up reading the entire book in one sitting.
2. Effervescent (adj.)
Meaning: (of people and their behaviour) excited, enthusiastic and full of energy
Synonym: vivacious, animated, bubbly
She has a warm effervescent personality that made her easy to get along with. The effervescent host spoke with infectious energy and was able to bring a smile to not only the contestants on the show, but also the audience at home.
3. Euphonious (adj.)
Meaning: (of a sound, especially speech) pleasing to the ear
Synonym: pleasant-sounding, sweet-sounding, honeyed
The euphonious chimes of the bell lulled the baby to sleep. Her euphonious tone made her sound like an angel and I was immediately all ears to what she was explaining.
4. Evocative (adj.)
Meaning: bringing strong images, memories, or feelings to mind
Synonym: reminiscent, suggestive
The writer uses descriptive vocabulary to paint evocative images, moving his readers to tears. The evocative music that she often heard as a child in her grandparents’ house made her miss them dearly.
5. Halcyon (adj.)
Meaning: denoting a period of time in the past that was idyllically happy and peaceful
Synonym: happy, carefree, blissful
My grandmother would often recall the halcyon days of the past when her grocery store business boomed and she was healthy and free to do what she liked. The halcyon summer holidays where we could play outdoors freely in groups without our masks are long gone.
6. Lissom (adj.)
Meaning: (of a person or their body) thin, supple, and graceful
Synonym: lithe, elegant, svelte
The lissom dancer mesmerised the audience as she swayed to the music. Perry grew up with horses and always admired how graceful they looked trotting around the stables with their lissom bodies.
7. Resplendent (adj.)
Meaning: very bright, attractive and impressive in appearance
Synonym: splendid, magnificent, brilliant
Dressed in resplendent costumes, the children created a beautiful rainbow of colours on the stage. During the Singapore Night Festival in 2019, a resplendent underwater scene full of marine animals was projected onto the building of the National Museum of Singapore.
8. Redolent (adj.)
Meaning: having a strong pleasant smell
Synonym: aromatic, perfumed
Although my mother had left for work, the entire house was redolent with the fragrance of her perfume. The kitchen was redolent with the aroma of freshly baked bread, making my mouth water.
9. Serendipitous (adj.)
Meaning: occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way
Synonym: coincidental, lucky
The serendipitous encounter with my primary school classmate after not seeing him for two years led to an enjoyable chat about our shared experience. The scientists made a serendipitous discovery which could lead them to the cure for cancer.
10. Sublime (adj.)
Meaning: of great excellence or beauty
Synonym: outstanding, grand, majestic, stellar
The Great Barrier Reef is known for its sublime natural seascape full of unique marine life and vibrantly coloured corals. Having devoured the delectable food, we complimented the chef for the sublime meal.
Were you able to come up with your own examples to use the beautiful words in your narrative writing as you were reading this post? Feel free to look them up in a dictionary to familiarise yourself with more contexts where you can use these charming words appropriately.
I hope you would use these beautiful words in your narrative writing. Go forth and apply the new knowledge you have acquired to impress your readers. See you in future posts!
Ms. Hui Jun
As a teacher, Ms Hui Jun is driven to create a safe conducive space for learning in her classroom. To achieve this, she makes an effort to build rapport with her students so that they are unafraid to ask questions when in doubt. With an aim for her students to grow from every lesson, she encourages them to reflect on their learning and find ways to connect them to real life application. With this, she hopes to stretch the young minds of all her pupils and to equip them with the language skills necessary in our world today.
Have something to share? Drop us a comment below!
Leave a reply.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Other related posts
Understanding purpose-related questions in visual text comprehension.
- Visual Text Comprehension
Verbs: More than Just Action Words! | Part 3: Changes in Verb Forms
Ketchup on english – is, are, was and were.
- Grammar , Lower Primary
Audience In Visual Text | Visual Text Comprehension
Exploring Points of View (POV) in Composition Writing
- Creative Writing & Compo
Metaphors For? | Part II – Implied Metaphors
10 Beautiful Vivid Verbs to Boost Your Writing and Oral! | Primary School English
- Creative Writing & Compo , Oral
Metaphors For? | Part I – An Introduction to Metaphors
3 Family-Friendly Shows on Netflix (Educational & Entertaining)!
- English in the real world
Verbs: More than Just Action Words! | Part 2: Tenses
2021 father’s day contest winners.
- Company News
Verbs: More than Just Action Words! | Part 1: Subject-Verb Agreement
Creative Writing | 3 Easy Steps to Write Your Own Haiku!
Ways To Create A Well-Rounded Character | Creative Writing
How Playing Video Games Can Improve Our English (With Practical Tips for Parents!)
Primary School Composition | Onomatopoeia – What’s That?
2021 mother’s day contest winners + our founder’s journey (mother’s day special).
Composition Revision: Using Your 5 Senses in Your Writing
How to create a dynamic piece of writing using idioms, ketchup on english – subject-verb agreement, punctuation marks: colon vs. semicolon.
4 steps to Create Suspense
Earth Hour – Oral Topic
That simile though 2 | using stronger similes, that simile though | an introduction to similes.
How to Avoid Plot Holes in Your Story!
PSLE ORAL | Compiled Prelim 2021 Oral Topics + Questions!
- Free Downloads , Oral
5 Steps to Convert a Newspaper Article into a Cloze Passage
- Cloze Passage and Editing , Free Downloads , Primary School English
PSLE English | Oral Conversation: Free SG50 Sample Practice + Model Answers
- Free Downloads , Oral , Primary School English
PSLE English | Oral Conversation: Filling your Story with Details Easily + Free Revision Cards
PSLE English | Situational Writing: Q&A + Formal vs Informal Writing Comparison Chart
- Free Downloads , Primary School English , Situational Writing
PSLE English Tips | Oral: Stimulus-Based Conversation Checklist
A Little Encouragement | DIY Motivational Bookmark (Easy to personalise too!)
- English in the real world , Free Downloads , Reading
Situational Writing: Step-by-Step Guide + Free Revision Card
I Love Reading | 5 Ways to Motivate Reluctant Readers
- English in the real world , Free Downloads
PSLE English | Printable Ultimate Grammar & Synthesis Summary
- Free Downloads , Grammar , Sentence Synthesis
How Well Do You Know Your Past Participles?
- Free Downloads , Grammar
Primary Composition Writing | Starting Sentences with Introductory Clauses
- Creative Writing & Compo , Free Downloads
The Sentence Train | Lower Primary English
PSLE English Tips | Oral: Reading Checklist
Language of COVID | 10 Words Added to the Dictionary
- English in the real world , Vocabulary
Using Personification to Show, Not Tell!
- Creative Writing & Compo , Primary School English
Expressing Character Feelings Too! | Using Show-Not-Tell (Part 2)
How to choose a book to read: 8 ways.
How to Dress Up A Boring Paragraph | Creative Writing
Ketchup on english – halloween special: prepositions of time.
- Lower Primary
Ketchup on English! – Verbs Are Not Just Action Words!
Expressing Character Feelings | Using Show-Not-Tell
Which picture should i use | choosing the best picture to use for composition.
Oral: Reading Passage | Long Vowels – Have You Been Reading Your Vowels Correctly?
Like what you are reading.
Subscribe now to receive news and tips hot off the press!
The greatest joy in giving small group tuition is a teacher’s ability to create greater impact in the children that have been entrusted to her care.
- Primary English
- Secondary English
- Self-Paced Online Courses
- School Clients
- Copyright Terms & Conditions
- Personal Data Protection Policy
- Registration Terms & Conditions
- Contest Terms & Conditions
Lil’ but Mighty Clementi Block 432 Clementi Avenue 3, #01-282, Singapore 120432
Lil’ but Mighty Bukit Timah Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, 170 Upper Bukit Timah Road, #B2-02, Singapore 588179
Lil’ but Mighty Hougang Block 211 Hougang Street 21, #01-305 (Rear Entrance) , Singapore 530211
Lil’ but Mighty Novena Goldhill Plaza, 51 Goldhill Plaza, #02-25, Singapore 308899
Lil’ but Mighty Marine Parade Parkway Centre, 1 Marine Parade Central, #04-05, Singapore 449408
Lil’ but Mighty Tampines (Coming in Nov 2023) Tampines Plaza 1, 3 Tampines Central 1, Singapore 529540
500 Descriptive Words To Improve Your Writing
These descriptive words will help improve your writing. All these describing words are from my own personal notes. I’m an avid, and active, reader, and over the last couple of years I’ve jotted down the descriptive words that I pop out to me.
This list of descriptive words for writing was born from a desire to become enhance my vocabulary and become a better storyteller, and writer. Three things I care a lot about – just a fun fact about me .
I’ve learned over time – and with many failures – that working with describing words on a page is akin to a potter at the molding wheel. And as writers, we use them to slowly shape our stories whether it’s writing about driving around the world or inspiring people to create their own list of bucket list ideas .
The list is separated by parts of speech ; You’ll find a list of adjectives, descriptive phrases, action verbs, and more.
At the end are some phrases I like, that I have read here or there over the years. Make sure to check out our list of descriptive adjectives as well.
I hope you use this list of descriptive words , and phrases and garner inspiration to enhance your tales.
500 Describing Words to Improve Your Writing
“This is one of the best resources I’ve come across in a long time…”
Get our Descriptive Word Cheat Sheet for FREE . You’ll get immediate access to our PDF cheat sheet of Descriptive Words. A resource you won’t find elsewhere. Perfect for papers, writing and resumes!
1 – although.
“he was making headway, albeit rather slowly.”
1 – very typical of a certain kind of person or thing.
“the archetypal country doctor”
1 – without purpose or direction.
“Don’t live an aimless life.”
1 – To face or endure danger or pain; showing courage.
The brave healthcare workers are putting their life on the line.
1 – perplexed and confused; very puzzled.
“I had a bewildered look on my face”
1 – giving out or reflecting a lot of light; shining.
The sun was bright in his eyes.
2 – vivid and bold color.
The grass in Ireland is bright green.
1 – Bright or Radiant.
The brilliant light was blinding.
1 – Clever or Smart
He was a brilliant student. He always chose to use the right word.
1 – unlimited, infinite, or immense.
The boundless energy of the kid wore me out.
1 – socially unconventional in a way regarded as characteristic of creative
Running this travel blog has led me to live a boho life.
2 – woman’s fashion aesthetic is characterized by flowing print fabrics, layers of clothing, and costume jewelry such as long strings of beads, dangling earrings, and multiple bangles.
she went for the boho look in a floor-length green dress teamed with a fringed jacket and chandelier earrings.
1 – hurt by repeated blows or punishment.
he finished the day battered and bruised.
2 – damaged by age or used repeatedly.
I finished the day battered and bruised.
1 – a taste sensation that is peculiarly sharp or acrid.
The bitter fruit tasted terrible.
1 – lacking due thought or consideration
Zack Morris showed a blithe disregard for the rules.
2 – Happy or Lighthearted Character
Want to watch a blithe romantic comedy?
1 – having a blue tinge; somewhat blue.
The bluish tint of the water was stylish.
1 – Lost in deep sadness of thought.
The kid was brooding that his parents wouldn’t buy the toy.
1 – having the characteristic of a baby.
He acted babyish when he lost the game.
1 – not fake; or counterfeit
This is a bona fide masterpiece.
1 – lose or hanging.
My eyes are baggy after a red-eye flight.
1 – loved very dearly.
The teacher was beloved by his students.
1 – a low murmuring or humming sound.
The buzzing bee flew across the park.
1 – strong, or strongly built.
The burly bear was intimidating.
1 – having a lot of bounce.
The trampoline was extra bouncy.
2 – confident or having a jaunty rhythm.
The man was bouncy and full of life.
1 – very apt to stay afloat.
The pool floaty was extremely buoyant.
2 – cheerful.
The buoyant salesman was very charming.
1 – lacking plants or life.
The bleak desert was barren.
2 – Cold and Miserable Outlook.
After his divorce, he had a bleak outlook on life.
1 – expressing or marked by earnest entreaty or pleading.
The beseeching peasant feared for his life.
1 – having the taste of butter.
The buttery bread warmed the soul.
1 – having feelings or actions control or remaining calm.
Even though he was afraid he remained composed.
1 – caverns in either size, shape, or atmosphere.
The cavernous mansion stood empty.
2 – Giving the impression of dark and vast.
The cavernous eyes.
1 – a series of columns set at specific intervals, and supporting a roof.
The ancient marble colonnades are just one reason to explore the best islands in Greece .
1 – free from worry or anxiety.
he was a carefree soul.
1 – having a rough texture; large grains.
The treated wood was coarse.
1 – anxious to protect or avoid potential danger or mishaps.
he was careful not to get into trouble.
1 – making or liable to make a harsh, high-pitched sound when being moved or when pressure or weight is applied.
“I climbed the creaky stairs”
1 – dirt free, unmarked, or have been washed.
the room was clean.
1 – having a wavy outline
The crenelated coast when backpacking Thailand is breathtaking. ..
1 – covered by clouds.
It was too cloudy to go hiking.
1 – present from birth.
“a congenital defect of the heart.”
1 – a striking array of colors.
The colorful painting lit up the room.
1 – rude language.
They didn’t allow the colorful speech to get past the sensors.
1 – Happy / Sprightly
He was chipper after getting married in Sweden .
1 – rude shortness
The curt manager’s comments angered the waiter.
1 – confused
The chef was confounded by the dinner tickets.
1 – continuing occurrence
I suffer from chronic indigestion.
2 – present and encountered.
Chronic meddling always causes problems.
1 – relating to the community / Collective ownership.
The communal garden gives us great vegetables every year.
1 – huge in size, power, or stupendous.
The colossal rocks blocked the dusty path.
1 – pleasing
Chicago food has some of the most delectable meals I’ve ever had.
1 – delicate
The dainty glass broke from the fall.
2 – tasty
The dainty sandwich was filling.
1 – untidy in appearance
Boys often have a disheveled room.
1 – devoted to a cause or purpose
Star Wars has dedicated fans.
2 – given a purpose
He has a dedicated server to protect his data.
1 – awarded or received marks of honor.
He was decorated with a medal for winning the race.
2 – furnished with something ornamental
A hallmark of the parade are the decorated floats.
1 – chosen but not yet installed
the ambassador designates the future assignments.
He has a designated server to protect his data.
1 – bright, brilliant, or showy, colorful, and impressive.
The dazzling fireworks were the highlight of the festival.
1 – eating food quickly.
The Lion is a devouring beast.
2 – destructively consuming/absorbing
Don’t let devouring loneliness defeat you.
1 – below / far from the surface
His joy was buried deep below the surface of an ocean of swirling emotions.
1- Having a great deal of money; being wealthy.
The deep-pocketed businessman donated a large sum of money to the charity.
1- Having a disposition that is not pleasant or agreeable; disagreeable behavior or remarks.
“I’m sorry I was so disagreeable earlier. I had a really bad day.”
1 – fallen into decay or deteriorated
The dilapidated home needed an intense amount of love and care.
1 – serving for ornamental decoration.
The decorative replica was made to be displayed. And invoked a strong emotion.
1 – moving from the common direction.
Do follow the popular path. Instead, go into the unknown, and discover your divergent path.
1 – Showing concern and sympathy for others, especially those in distress.
When I saw the homeless man on the side of the road, I felt compassion for him and wished I could help him.
1 – A movie that is enjoyable and amusing.
The new comedy starring Melissa McCarthy was very entertaining.
1 – hard to pin down, identify, or isolate.
They knew the elusive thief lurked nearby.
1 – enthusiastic joy
They were exuberant about their upcoming trip to some of the most beautiful places in the world .
1 – vertical position
Few erect columns were peppered throughout the temple ruins.
1 – having the ability to expand.
The expansive landscape is seemingly never-ending.
1 – deriving style, ideas, and taste from a wide range of sources.
The eclectic mix of opinions caused an argument.
1 – cause a strong feeling of annoyance
The planes exasperating delay made everyone late.
1 – fully detailed or well planned.
The elaborate design of Bangkok’s royal palace is breathtaking.
1 – uttered, or emphasizing on.
The emphatic refusal helped them close the deal.
1 – productive / desired effects.
The efficient writer finished before the deadline.
2 – being involved or an immediate agent.
The efficient action helped make a change.
1 – go deeper
He had an ever-deepening love for sports.
1 – thorough / all possibilities
The exhaustive to-do list was intimidating.
1 – seemingly without end
The endless forest instilled a mood of tranquility.
1 – exceeding normal limits or excessively elaborate
The extravagant building is grand.
2 – extremely high in price
The extravagant purchase maxed out his credit card purchase.
1 – elegance
The elegant clothes belonged to the king.
1 – relating to or named after
The eponymous landscape outside Dingle is one of the best places to visit in Ireland .
1 – relating to a celebration, festival , or feast.
The festive dinner got a little out of hand.
1 – tinged with red in the face, from shame, heat, or physical exertion.
Caught in a lie, his face became flushed with embarrassment.
1 – very hot or passionate desire.
I have a fervent desire to explore the world.
1 – moving quickly
The fast-moving current washed away our supplies.
1 – based on fantasy
Game of Thrones takes place in a fantastical world, filled with dragons, and magic.
1 – unrestrained violence or brutality
The ferocious lion hunted his prey.
1 – having to do with the burial.
They found treasure in the Pharaoh’s funerary chamber.
1 – focused on something.
The dog was fixated on the squirrel.
1 – loving having fun.
The fun-loving locals love putting on their annual festival.
1 – covered with grass
The grassy knolls are stunning.
1 – a large number of
He had charm galore.
1 – repulsion, or inspiring horror.
The movie was too gruesome for me.
1 – possessing glory
When backpacking New Zealand you see glorious landscapes.
1 – Very good-looking, or beautiful. Can be used to describe people, things, or places. For example, “She is a glorious sight in that dress.”
1 – painful or distressing
It was a harrowing adventure filled with an unexpected twists, turns, and sacrifices.
1 – an unrestrained expression
I was greeted with a hearty welcome.
2 – wholesome or substantial
I enjoyed the hearty meal.
1 – relating to an herb
Those herbaceous florae were savory.
1 – alone
He was isolated during the exam.
1 – not tolerable or unbearable
The intolerable noise kept me up all night.
1 – picturesque or pleasing
The idyllic Irish landscapes are some of the best in Europe.
1 – great in size or degree
Our immense Universe is without limits.
1 – extreme degree
The intense amount of work was overbearing.
1 – irk or tedious
Sometimes we all have to do Irksome tasks.
1 – prone to act, acting momentarily
To lose weight sometimes we have to deny our impulses for bad food.
1 – tempting
The inviting meal made my mouth water.
1 – existing in, or belonging to
The innate behavior of a child was to cause trouble.
1 – memorable or cannot be washed away or erased.
The indelible landscape means there are hundreds of places to visit in the United States .
1 – the feeling of extreme anger.
The infuriating delay at the airport made him miss his flight.
1 – spotless / extremely clean
Singapore is an immaculately clean country.
2 – having no flaw
The glass in Venice is immaculate.
1 – having many complex parts
Mona Lisa is an intricate painting. Making it the most famous in the world.
1 – belonging to the inside,
I great battles happen inside the interior of our minds.
1 – sprightly
he took a jaunty stroll through the park.
1 – having a disorienting effect
The jarring truth is that dreams without goals, remain dreams.
1 – ready, or in favor of
I am keen to go to the bar.
2 – sensitive perception
He had a keen nose.
1 – having lungs
The lunged fish swan in the pond.
1 – transparent or clear; Glasslike
The limpid waters in Thailand or famed around the world.
1 – expending or bestowing excess
The lavish palace of Versailles is one of the most popular day trips from Paris .
1 – outlandish, or eccentric
Some ludicrous movies aren’t bad.
1 – filled with desire or lust
She was filled with lascivious thoughts.
1 – lack of interest, or energy
His listless attitude held him back in life.
1 – sad or lonely
Ah, the lonesome road, has many trails, but many rewards.
1 – highly significant, outstanding
The monumental task can be accomplished by taking little steps every day.
1 – expressing sadness
A melancholy nature will keep you stuck.
1 – deserving reward or praise.
A meritorious life of service.
1 – intrusive or getting involved in
The meddlesome raccoon knocked over the trash can.
1 – Huge, exceedingly large
Many of the mammoth caves in the United States are worth visiting.
1 – existing today
Many modern-day advances give our lives ease.
1 – inferior in size or degree
The minor problems in life or nothing to sweat over – life is too short .
1 – covered by mist.
The heavy air of the misty morning endowed the park with an eerie coolness.
1 – covered by mystery
The monk has a mysterious nature.
1 – not where it should be
The restaurant felt out of place.
1 – elaborate or excessively decorated
The ornate .ruins draw in visitors.
1 – standing out
His outstanding skills put him in line for a promotion.
2 – unpaid
Outstanding bills can be stressful.
1 – lack of sharpness
His obtuse answer made no sense.
1 – lacking remembrance, or memory
Don’t be oblivious to the opportunities that life presents you.
1 – wealth, abundance
The opulent hotel is worth the price tag.
1 – characteristic of a person
His hot temper was peculiar.
2 – different from the normal
The book had a particular plot twist in the book.
1 – not spoiled, or corrupted
The pristine beaches had soft sand.
2 – earliest state
The pristine state of the forest
1 – a sense of peace
The peaceful forest instilled a peace of tranquility.
1 – argumentative quarrelsome
He has a pugnacious nature.
1 – mental and emotional state of fear
Don’t panic. Breathe and slow down.
1 – able to be passed
The currents were passable during the low tide.
1 – turning, a pivot
Taking my first trip to Ireland was a pivotal moment in my life.
1 – critical
It was a pivotal piece of the puzzle.
1 – polishing, smooth, glossy
Polish your writing before publishing the piece.
1 – by or in itself
That’s not the facts per se, but valuable to know.
1 – notably luxurious or rich
His plush life made him soft.
1 – elevated or arrogant
The pompous rhetoric is hurtful.
2- exhibiting an air of self-importance.
The pompous politician lost sight of his vision.
1 – extreme or severe
After rigorous training, he was ready to test himself.
1 – When something is so funny that it causes one’s sides to split, it is side-splitting.
My mom’s joke was sidesplittingly funny.
1 – like thunder
The thunderous roar of the waves beating along the coast.
DESCRIPTIVE WORDS FOR WRITING: ACTION and Strong VERBS
These are some of the best words. They are great when wanting to show a clear meaning of a sentence or improve a short story.
1- regard something as being caused by.
I attribute my grammar skill to how many questions I ask.
1 – provide clear evidence; declare that something exist.
I attest that life is good
1 – make minor changes.
I had to amend your application before sending it in.
1 – regard (an object, quality, or person) with respect or warm approval.
I admire your commitment to learning the English Language.
1 – praise enthusiastically
I acclaimed actor won the best actor for his deep performance.
1 – achieve or complete successfully.
I accomplish my goals.
1 – increase in sound
They amplify the sound at the concert.
2 – make copies of something
The notes amplify that new evidence. ..
1 – change, or make changes too
They altered the rules of the game.
1 – (of a problem, opportunity, or situation) emerge; become apparent.
“a string of new difficulties have arisen “
2 – get or stand up.
“he arose at 5:30 to work out.”
1 – to clear out or save (Usually water from a boat)
They bailed him out of trouble.
1 – talk enthusiastically for a long time
Just one of the many fun facts about me . Sometimes I like to babble about travel.
1 – to set upon
We were beset with locals trying to make a sale.
2 – to set with ornaments
The roses are beset with thrones.
1 – fail to give a true notion or impression of (something); disguise or contradict.
I newspaper story belied the facts.
2 – fail to fulfill or justify (a claim or expectation); betray.
The notebooks belie Darwin’s later recollection.
1 – hit repeatedly with blows.
He battered the broken car.
1 – become perplexed.
I was bewildered by the lack of work the team had done.
1 – bend the head or upper part of the body as a sign of respect, greeting, or shame.
It is common to bow in Asia.
2 – play (a stringed instrument or music) using a bow.
The techniques by which the pieces were bowed.
1 – think deeply about something that makes the person unhappy.
He brooded over his bad day.
1 – encourage or help
I need to boost my spirits.
2 – push from below
She needs to boost to master the English Language.
1 – cast a spell or enchant.
I was bewitched by the lush landscape.
1 – low murmuring or humming sound.
Flies buzz when they fly.
1 – lock with a bar that slides into a socket.
He bolted the door for protection.
2 – ran away quickly.
He bolted down the street.
1 – strike hard.
He bashed the wall in anger.
2 – criticize.
He bashed the smoking industry.
1 – break or burst
They bust the water balloon.
2 – lose something
He went bust at the poker table…
1 – squeeze together
Compress the laptop’s file to save space.
1 – to bring to an end.
The summit concluded with world peace.
2 – to reach a logical end or decision.
The magazine concludes that Rome is one of the most beautiful cities in the world .
He concluded his college application with a question.
1 – unmarked, free dirt
He cleaned the room every other week.
1 – fall or hang in copious or luxuriant quantities.
“the cool water cascading down the waterfall.”
1 – decrease in size, number, or range.
“glass contracts as it cools.”
2 – become shorter and tighter to affect the movement of part of the body.
“The heart is a muscle that contracts about seventy times a minute”
1 – wind into rings
The sailor coiled the rope.
1 – to cover something
Massive trees canopied the small island.
1 – to form short bends or ripples / Wrinkle
Don’t crinkle my shirt.
2 – a think crackling sound
The crinkling bag woke up the dog.
1 – chuckle or laugh
He chortled with amusement.
2 – sing or chant
She chortled in her happiness.
1 – broken into small parts.
The Greek Islands are filled with crumbling ruins.
1 – beg or sponge
He cadges for a free cup of coffee.
1 – sharp, quick, repeated noises
The crackling fire.
1 – to dig and bring to light.
Don’t dredge up those painful memories.
1 – travel somewhere in a hurry
I dashed through the forest.
2 – strike, or destroy
The ship was dashed upon the rocks.
She dashed his spirits.
1 – cause (someone) to feel consternation and distress.
A deep feeling of dismay overtook the room.
1 – greatly astonish or amaze
I’m often dumbfounded after watching the task force meetings.
1 – eat / destroy / adsorb quickly
I want to devour the big meal.
2 – read eagerly
Amy always devours a good book.
1 – make (someone’s) clothes or hair messy.
Boris Johnson disheveled his hair before being on camera.
1 – to lessen the courage of
A lesser man would be daunted by this challenge.
1 – to set apart for a purpose. to distinguish as a class
We designate this room as the class lab.
2 – to point out a location
A marker designating where the trial starts.
1 – to feel aversion to (Offend)
His distaste for the joke was apparent.
1 – to dig
Suspicion led him to delve into his wife’s bag.
1 – to search for information
He delved into the past to find the problem.
1 – to get carried along (by water, air, etc)
The windy drift pushed the hot air balloon to the west.
1 – a pile of something in heaps
Snow drifts covered the landscape.
1 – to stray or move from a principle, standard, or topic.
Don’t deviate from your goals. Stayed focused even when life is tough.
1 – to cause annoyance or irritation
I hope you’re not exasperated by this list of descriptive words.
1 – Set up / to fix/put together in an upright position
The father and son erected the tree house.
1 – to become known,
Jane emerged from her travels a most well-rounded person.
1 – To make it ornamental or make it more attractive.
Frank embellished his life story to impress his date.
1 – to furnish / to provide with
I’m endowed with a good sense of humor .
1 – allure or tempt
He was enticed by the smell of the chocolate.
1 – eliminate by wearing away surface
The rocks are effaced by wear and tear.
1 – rot slowly
Don’t let your anger fester about your tough English test.
1 – steal secretly
He filches the cookie from the jar.
1 – give a false appearance
The company feigned how bad his leg hurt.
1 – containing frescoes
The frescoed walls of the chapel inspired my love of art.
1 – to pass quickly or shift
The chortling birds flitted around the forest.
1 – to flow in an irregular current
The stream gurgling stream swept over the rocks.
2 – ta gurgling sound
The gurgling stream blocked the path.
1 – to gather,
Tim garnered his courage before presenting his essay to his teachers.
1 – move quickly
He hastened his journey home.
1 – lift or raise by tackle
Hoist the flag.
1 – lift or raise or pull
He heaved the trunk onto the oak table.
1 – a harmful or disquieting occurrence
The past mistakes haunted him.
2 – to visit often to seek the company of
I spend a lot of time haunting the bookstore.
1 – cross one with another.
The intertwined vines were impassable.
1 – place a body in a tomb or grave
The king was interred with all the honor due him.
1 – weave.
It’s dangerous to interweave lies and the truth.
1 – to make, irritated, or weary
He was irked trying to learn all the English grammar rules.
1 – endow or influence
He imbued the spirit of the old times.
1 – spaced in intervals
The interspersed paintings covered the east wing.
1 – sharp uneven surface
The jagged mountains dotted the horizon.
1 – come into contact or pushing
The jostling crowd flooded to the door.
2 – vying for a position.
The workers began to jostle for the new job.
1 – expend or bestow
His lavish habits cost him a lot of money.
1 – slow parting
The effects lingered long after it was over.
1 – take a large shape or an impending occurrence
The teacher loomed over the student to make sure he wasn’t cheating.
1 – an area to stop
Lay-by the dock the ship tied up.
1 – utter barely audible sounds in a low voice.
He muttered to himself about his workload.
1 – hypnotizing
The mesmerizing beauty of the best islands in Croatia is not easily forgotten.
1 – settle snugly
A small town nestled among the mountains.
1 – grab or catch
He nabbed the best spot in the class for the English lesson .
1 – a slow trickle, to seep out of something
The oozing gunk stained the floor.
1 – exiled
He was ostracized after his betrayal was made public.
1 – to peer through / to look furtively.
Don’t peek around the corner.
1 – to go deep into, or thrust into something.
I plunged into the task of self-development.
1 – landscape with a level surface, and little change
He wandered the plateau looking for his lost wallet.
1 – search for information.
His friend probed him with questions about the girl.
1 – sprinkled throughout
The olive trees peppered the Greek countryside.
1 – work laboriously
The book plodded along slowly.
1 – soaked in
The city was steeped in charm.
1 – a loud sharp noise
He shirked when he thought he saw a ghost.
1 – to spread without restraint
The sprawling landscape of the desert is one of the best things to do in Tucson .
1 – fill with things or with satiety
He was stuffed after Thanksgiving dinner.
1 – feeling to do something (usually wrong)
He was tempted to eat the candy.
DESCRIPTIVE WORDS FOR WRITING: LIST OF ADVERBS
1 – Suddenly or Unexpectedly.
The car stopped abruptly.
2 – In a rude manner.
His mom abruptly cut him off.
3 – Steep
The hill ascends abruptly.
1- Without enthusiasm or interest.
She played with the dog apathetically, barely looking at it.
1 – extra factor or circumstance.
brokers finance themselves additionally by short-term borrowing.
2 – used to introduce a new fact or argument.
Additionally, the regulations require a clean environment.
1 – one after the other or next
Alternately, don’t give up when things get hard.
begrudgingly (adverb) – unwillingly; reluctantly
I begrudgingly gave him my number.
1- done or planned with care and intention
The mother deliberately left the child in the car while she went into the store.
1. in a dramatic manner
The actress dramatically read the lines from the script.
1 – being effective or in effect
John effectively finished his to-do list before stopping for the day.
1 – evident or provide evidence
He was evidently born in Ohio.
1 – expert in something
He expertly navigated his way through the maze of alleyways.
1 – strikingly unusual or different; remarkable
This painting is extraordinary!
1 – what precedes
Furthermore, people should travel more.
1 – a gloomy or somber
He grimly walked to see his boos.
1 – a sinister character
The dark figure had a grimly stance that shadows seemed to cling to.
1- Inquisitively is defined as in a curious or questioning manner.
Looking inquisitively at someone means looking at them in a way that suggests you want to know more about them. For example, you may be staring intently at their face as if you are trying to read their thoughts.
1 – In an intelligent way
The mother cat was intelligently trying to get her kitten out from under the car.
1 – to a great degree
The immensely talented writer self-published his book.
1 – intentional manner or awareness
He intentionally arrived at the airport early.
1 – intense
He intensely focused on the problem at hand.
1 – from impulse
He impulsively got up early every morning.
He invitingly offered me a free drink.
1 – extreme anger
Moving to my wife in Sweden is an infuriatingly slow process.
1 – born or existing in.
He innately loved filling his head with quotes about adventure.
1 – lasting or unforgettable cannot be removed.
The indelibly hued landscape when backpacking Italy changed my life.
1 – complex with many parts
The intricately designed plot has levels of detail.
1 – eager or intense
They are keenly attuned to your bad behavior.
1 – clear; glassiness
The limpidly rushing water of the cascading waterfall.
1 – meriting laughter or exaggeration
He ludicrously lost his wallet.
Synonym for Richly or Grandly
1 – marked by excess
The lavishly decorated crown marked him as king.
1 – In a precise and orderly way.
The scientist methodically recorded the data.
1 – large, or to an extreme degree
He monumentally failed in his task.
1 – without doubt
The claims were patently false.
1 – peace or tranquility
he peacefully listened to the sounds of birds singing outside his window.
1 – strict
He rigorously worked at his craft every day.
1 – romantic
He was romantically involved with her.
DESCRIPTIVE WORDS FOR WRITING: NOUNS
1 – the process of absorbing.
The absorption of the spilled water.
2 – The whole occupation of the mind.
The absorption of my work overtakes every other desire.
1 – strong desire to do or to achieve something which takes hard work.
People trying to improve their skills with this list of descriptive words for writing have a lot of ambition.
2 – determination to achieve success.
life offers many opportunities for those with ambition.
1 – a large quantity of something.
I have an abundance of ambition.
2 – The condition of having a copious quantity of something; bountifulness.
The vineyard has an abundance of grapes.
1 – a person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime.
“He’s a wine aficionado.”
1 – a dark volcanic rock that displays a columnar structure and is made of fine-grained.
The fertile soil was made of decomposed basalt.
1 – something of monstrous size
That’s a behemoth-sized lion.
1 – a person who is socially unconventional in a way regarded as characteristic of creative artists; a bohemian.
The town bohos opened an art gallery.
1 – an increase
A boost in the economy.
1 – a room or pantry used for storing wine or hard liquor.
Can you grab the wine out of the buttery?
1 – a beer that has a strong hop taste; or liquor with the sharp taste of plant extracts.
What bitters do you have on tap?
1 – a combination of qualities of color, such as shape, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight.
“I was struck by her beauty .”
Synonym for Rock or Stone
1 – a large rock, mostly worn smooth by years of erosion.
The boulder blocked the path.
1 – move quickly.
He buzzed through these descriptive words.
1 – Irish name for a beehive hut.
The ruins of a clochán sat on the other side of the field.
1 – a written or spoken agreement, especially one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law.
“both parties must sign employment contracts “
1 – a mass of something that falls or hangs in copious or luxuriant quantities.
“A cascade of pink bougainvillea.”
2 – a large number or amount of something occurring or arriving in rapid succession.
“a cascade of antiwar literature”
1 – an ornamental decoration at the ridge of a roof or top of a wall or screen.
High on the roof was a cresting decoration.
1 – Someone who chips
The chipper was hard at working cutting down the tree.
1 – one delegated by a superior to execute a duty or an office
The commissary was tasked with finding a cure.
1 – a series of loops
The coil of pumps was confusing.
2 – everyday troubles
Sometimes we all need to shrug off the coils of the workday.
1 – any of an order (Coniferales) of mostly evergreen trees and shrubs having usually needle-shaped or scalelike leaves like pine, cones, and arillate fruit.
The group of conifer trees took over the forest.
1 – to create
Christians believe in the creation story.
1 – an agreement or promise / attached to someone or something
I have a commitment to my wife.
1 – a cover carried above by a person of rank / or a cloth suspended
The canopy covered the diners on the patio.
1 – a heap of stones in a heap. Usually a landmark or memorial. Typically on a hilltop or skyline.
The stony cairn marked the way back.
1- Colorful Having many different colors. The sunset was so colorful.
Loyalty is one of his best characteristics
1 – something to eat considered rare and luxurious
What is your favorite delicacy in Italy?
2 – the quality or state of being dainty of someone or something
Spiderwebs have a delicacy.
1 – to flow along
To drift through life is sad.
2 – an underlying meaning or design.
The spy understood the drift of his orders.
1 – dislike food or drink
Many have a distaste for mushrooms.
1 – representation in images or describing words depicting something or someone.
The depiction of the movie wasn’t congruent with the book.
1 – a deep place or state of being
The depths of our abilities remain unknown until we push for greatness.
1 – an arrangement, or state of being engaged
Social engagement took most of my day.
1 – a massive structure
The social edifice holds together certain rules.
1 – city districts / or surroundings in your space or vicinity
The crystal environs of the waterfalls.
1 – a public showcase
The art exhibition was a success.
1 – a high position of superiority, Commanding or in a profession.
His eminence in the film made him a legend.
1 – refined taste, dignified gracefulness
The novel had an air of elegance and wit.
1 – a state of exasperated or exasperating someone/feeling irritation
He was exasperated after working all day.
1 – the act of representing a medium
I don’t understand the expression that artists are trying to achieve.
1 – point of attention.
The focal point of this blog post is describing words that help others master descriptive writing .
1 – an embarrassing mistake or error.
Interpreting someone is considered a social faux pas.
1 – the front of the building
The store’s facade was highly decorated.
1 – a false, or fake appearance
His friends saw through his thinly veiled facade.
A love this descriptive word.
1 – a boisterous and loud burst of laughter.
The joke caused a guffaw in the room.
1 – enthusiastic and filled with joy.
1 – a gloomy or somber outlook
He had a grim disposition on life.
The grim tale left me afraid.
1 – the quality or current state
The grandeur of ancient Rome inspired our world.
1 – grand
Many of the best places to visit in Europe are grand in design, scope, and scale.
1 – strong wind
The gust of wind caused the bike to tip over.
1 – an outburst of feeling
He had a gust of energy that came with the good news.
1 – either side of an arch.
The dog loves to have his back haunches scratched.
1 – a great number
A host of ants took over the picnic.
1 – something to indicate
He gave the indication that he was going to travel this summer.
1 – a stage or exception
In this instance, we all need to be quiet.
2 – example
For instance, pasta tastes better in Italy.
1 – inside limits or inner constitution
Travelers loved the lavish interior of the modern-day art gallery.
1 – limestone land or limestone plateau
The karst lands were filled with sinkholes and caverns.
1 – a plant organism made up of alge
Working the lichen spotted lake held a natural charm rarely found.
1 – machine for interlacing
Working the loom is hard and painful.
1 – soil made of silt, sand, and clay.
The loam ground was hard to walk.
1 – a self-service laundry
The launderette was packed with others.
1 – causing wonder and astonishment
Abu Simbel, in Egypt, is a marvel to behold.
1 – a great number of
This myriad list of descriptive words is very helpful – like our list of descriptive words for personality -.
1 – middle of the day
The midday meal made him want a nap.
1 – a single massive stone in a column or obelisk
Monoliths pepper the old landscape.
1 – a single massive stone in a column or obelisk from prehistoric origin.
The Menhir’s of Stonehenge tower over all who stand before it.
1 – one who lives in a metropolis
The metropolitan knew the city backward and forwards.
1 – wealth and Abundance
The opulence of the Blue Mosque makes it one of the best things to do in Turkey .
1 – of an unusual size
The outsize bed wouldn’t fit.
1 – a dirty slovenly place
Clean up this pigpen of a room.
1 – the quality of excitement or attractive
He was charming and had a large amount of pizzazz.
1 – an earnest entreaty
They plead for another helping of mashed potatoes.
1 – a bar something is hung on
The bird sat on the perch.
1 – a medical instrument for exploring
The doctor used a probe to discover what was wrong.
1 – a person despised or rejected
The thief was treated as a pariah.
1 – chasing after
Our pursuits define our lives.
1 – contradictory phases or conclusions.
Life is full of many a paradox.
1 – state of fear
Don’t panic about your writing . Just learn more descriptive words that will improve your writing.
1 – a close inspection; under a microscope
His paper was under a lot of scrutiny.
1 – riot or commotion
Tumult uprisings are a big part of history.
2 – loud noise
a tumult of noise kept me from sleeping.
1 – tiles
The tiling walls were stunning.
DESCRIPTIVE WORDS FOR WRITING: LIST OF PREPOSITIONS WITH DEFINITION
1 – surrounded by; in the middle of
He walked amid the rolling hills and lush landscape.
2 – in an atmosphere or against a background of.
Mid accusations of cheating the student were suspended.
DESCRIPTIVE WORDS FOR WRITING: DESCRIPTIVE PHRASES
Here are a lot of describing words that I’ve picked up from various books, and blog posts. I fell in love with this word list. And are great for adding detail.
Pro tip: The describing words are all around you. Listen to how people use descriptive language in your favorite movies, tv shows, and podcast. Try to find describing words in the things you read. The lesson you are looking for and the right words are all around you! You just have to look for the lesson to find the best describing word.
1 – one of the vast treeless tracts in Europe and Asia.
The arid steppe of Mongolia is famous around the world.
1- Waves crashing on the coast.
The Atlantic swells crashed against the crenelated coast.
1 – sad terrain, a phrase to describe mountain ranges.
The brooding summits, covered in clouds, look like a storm is coming.
BEHIND THE TIMES
1 – not aware of or using the latest ideas or techniques; out of date.
When it came to tech, he was behind the times.
1 – a good description to describe a still lake. Or a phrase lake on a nice day.
The crystalline lake boasted the perfect space to camp.
1 – a castle falling apart.
Ireland’s peppered with crumbling castles.
1 – descriptive of a scenic mountain range.
The cresting mountains of New Zealand are unforgettable.
1 – getting deeper
The ever-deepening snow made the terrain impassable.
The historical significance of Rome echoes even until today.
The infinite hills of New Zealand lure thousands of visitors a year. This is one of my favorite descriptive phrases.
1 – cold waves
The icy rollers of the Atlantic Ocean beat along the coast.
The indelibly wild forest of Peru.
1 – landscape similar to that on the moon
The Lunar-scaped beaches on Milos, put it high on many travelers’ lists of Greek Islands to visit.
The long-forgotten castle has centuries of neglect.
A great descriptive word for the forest!
1 – covered by moss
The moss-clad rocks sat along the stream.
MODERN HIGH-RISE SKYSCRAPERS
The hundreds of workers wasted their lives in modern high-rise skyscrapers.
Descriptive Words for Food
1 – having a pleasing smell
1 – having a brittle texture and a dry, brittle sound when broken
1 – having a brittle texture and a crisp, crackling sound when broken
1 – having a strong, satisfying flavor
1 – having a pleasing, sugary flavor
1 -having a sour, acidic taste
1 – having a salty, savory flavor
1 – not having a strong or distinctive flavor
1 – having a hot, pungent flavor
1 – having a lot of flavors
1 – something that tastes extremely good
1- providing the body with essential nutrients
1 – making someone want to eat something
1 – extremely delicious and appetizing
1 – a sweet liquid produced by flowers and used as a drink or in cooking
1 – producing an excessive flow of saliva
1 – of or relating to the sense of taste
1 – arousing or tempting the appetite
1 – having an extremely pleasing taste
1 – delightfully beautiful or elegant
1 – extremely luxurious and expensive
1 – brilliantly sparkling
1 – strikingly unusual or different
1 – restoring or invigorating
1 – promoting good health
1 – energetically alive and vigorous
1 – pleasantly firm and fresh
1 -full of juice
1 – having a strong, distinctive taste
1- so delicious as to make the mouth water
1 – easily broken or chewed and having a delicate, pleasing texture
Descriptive Words for Trees
Words to describe trees is one of the most requested updates for this post. So I have updated the list with a bunch of tree descriptive words. I hope you enjoy it!
Descriptive Words in Spanish
- ágil – agile
- bello – beautiful
- brillante – brilliant
- cálido – warm
- claro – clear
- colorido – colorful
- cortés – courteous
- curioso – curious
- dulce – sweet
- enérgico – energetic
- fresco – fresh
- gentil – gentle
- inteligente – intelligent
- joven – young
- ligero – light
- lindo – pretty
- maduro – mature
- maravilloso – marvelous
- nervioso – nervous
- optimista – optimistic
- pacífico – peaceful
- perezoso – lazy
- romántico – romantic
- sensible – sensible
- serio – serious
- simpático – likable
- triste – sad
- vibrante – vibrant
LIST OF DESCRIPTIVE ADJECTIVES
Here are some words to describe the positive qualities of people’s personalities. And using words like this to showcase a personality can connect those feeling with your readers.
affectionate – readily feeling or showing fondness or tenderness.
Agile – able to move quickly and easily.
Altruistic – showing a disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others; unselfish.
amiable – having or displaying a friendly and pleasant manner.
bright – giving out or reflecting much light; shining. – A very common descriptive phrase.
Bonza – excellent; first-rate.
charming – very pleasant or attractive.
Conscientious – wishing to do one’s work or duty well and thoroughly
imaginative – having or showing creativity or inventiveness.
List of Common Adjectives
These are great for common adjectives that can be used for anything from a descriptive phrase, descriptive writing, or a cover letter.
WORD LIST OF ATTRIBUTIVE ADJECTIVES
What are attributive adjectives?
These are words to can be placed inside a sentence that can modify a person or a thing. These different adjective are only used before nouns.
Example Sentence: The tender steak made my mouth water.
adjective for thick vines
- coiling, twisting, writhing
WORD LIST OF MULTIPLE ADJECTIVES
What are multiple adjectives?
Sometimes called paired adjectives. This is using more than one word to describe a noun.
Almost an adjective can be multiple adjectives if it can be paired together with other describing words to describe a noun. The key is to put them in the right order.
But here are some common ones.
Example Sentence: The thick, dense college application seemed daunting.
WHAT ARE COORDINATE ADJECTIVES
Similar to paired adjectives, Coordinate adjectives
are two – or maybe even more – adjectives that describe the same noun. They are separated by a common.
LIST OF POSITIVE ADJECTIVES
Positive words are a great way to make your readers feel something about a character, place, or object. Positive words of descriptive are powerful.
Example: He was brave enough to use a new word to showcase his skill in front of the class.
descriptive words starting with m
impressively beautiful, elaborate or striking
Example: The view from the top of the mountain was simply magnificent.
given to unpredictable changes in mood or feelings
Example: He was in a moody state after his fight with his girlfriend.
feeling or expressing a deep sadness or gloominess
Example: The melancholic music helped me release my emotions.
Playful or causing trouble in a playful way Example: The mischievous child kept on playing pranks on his siblings.
difficult or impossible to understand or explain
Example: The disappearance of the man is still a mysterious case to this day.
having or showing impressive beauty or dignity
Example: The Taj Mahal is a majestic work of art.
having a smooth, rich, or full flavor or personality
Example: The mellow sound of the saxophone helped me relax.
relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past
Example: The modern technology we have today has made life easier.
generous or forgiving, especially towards a rival or less powerful person
Example: Despite losing the game, he still remained magnanimous and congratulated the winning team.
unassuming or moderate in size, quantity, or importance
Example: She is a modest person who never seeks attention.
Descriptive Words Starting With N
feeling or showing anxiety or worry.
Example: I’m nervous about my upcoming job interview.
having or showing high moral principles or ideals.
Example: He was a noble man who always put others before himself.
making a lot of sound, often in an unpleasant or disruptive way.
Example: The party next door was very noisy and kept us up all night.
existing or occurring as part of nature; not artificial or man-made.
Example: The park was a beautiful natural oasis in the middle of the city.
clean, orderly, and well-organized.
Example: His desk was always so neat and tidy.
pleasingly stylish or clever; neat or attractive.
Example: The nifty new gadget made my life easier.
quick and light in movement or action.
Example: The nimble cat easily caught the mouse.
feeling a sentimental longing for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
Example: Looking at old family photos made her feel nostalgic for her childhood.
providing nourishment or food that is essential for health and growth.
Example: The salad was full of nutritious vegetables and healthy fats.
worthy of attention or notice; remarkable.
Example: His notable achievements in the field of science made him a household name.
descriptive words of a leader and Leadership Skills
Here are some great descriptive words that are great for describing effective leaders, passionate leaders, and other leadership qualities.
Having a compelling charm or appeal that inspires devotion in others.
Example: His charismatic personality made him a great public speaker. And a successful leaders.
having or showing a powerful imagination and the ability to think about or plan the future with wisdom or foresight.
Example: Steve Jobs was a visionary who revolutionized the technology industry. And held many leadership roles throughout his life.
Feeling or showing self-assurance; having faith in oneself and one’s abilities.
Example: A confident leader can inspire confidence in others. Which makes him a true leader.
Settling an issue; producing a definite result.
Example: A decisive leader is able to make tough decisions when necessary.
Having the ability to understand and share the feelings of others.
Example: An empathetic leader is able to connect with and inspire their team. Which makes them effective leaders.
Relating to the identification of long-term or overall aims and interests and the means of achieving them.
Example: A strategic leader is able to plan and execute successful business strategies.
providing inspiration or motivation to others; uplifting and motivating.
Example: An inspirational leader can inspire their team to achieve great things. And allows him to be a true leader.
deserving of trust or confidence; reliable.
Example: A trustworthy leader is one who can be relied upon to keep their promises.
able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
Example: A resilient leader is able to bounce back from setbacks and continue to lead effectively.
having or showing a modest or low estimate of one’s importance.
Example: A humble leader is able to put the needs of others ahead of their own and lead with integrity. And a true leader is humble, and it’s a sign of effective leadership.
MORE ENGLISH GRAMMAR QUESTIONS WERE ANSWERED!
What are the different kinds of adjectives.
There are several kinds of adjectives, including descriptive adjectives, limiting adjectives, proper adjectives, demonstrative adjectives, interrogative adjectives, and distributive adjectives.
Descriptive adjectives describe the qualities of a noun or pronoun, such as “blue,” “soft,” or “happy.”
Limiting adjectives limit the noun or pronoun by indicating a specific quantity or amount, such as “two,” “many,” or “few.”
Proper adjectives are formed from proper nouns and describe a particular noun or pronoun, such as “American,” “Italian,” or “Shakespearean.”
Demonstrative adjectives point out or indicate which noun or pronoun is being referred to, such as “this,” “that,” “these,” or “those.”
Interrogative adjectives are used to ask questions and include “which,” “what,” and “whose.”
Distributive adjectives refer to individual members of a group, such as “each,” “every,” “either,” or “neither.”
What are Negative Adjectives?
Negative adjectives are adjectives that describe something negatively, or with a negative connotation. And indicating that it lacks or has the opposite of a positive quality. They can be used talk about a personality trait, character trait, and change your writing style.
Examples of negative adjectives include “bad,” “ugly,” “harmful,” “horrible,” “unpleasant,” “unfortunate,” “unfriendly,” “unhappy,” “displeasing,” “unfair,” and “unsatisfactory.”
These adjectives can be used to express criticism, disapproval, or disappointment towards someone or something. Negative adjectives can also be used to contrast one thing with another, such as in phrases like “less beautiful,” “not as smart,” or “less effective.”
positive personality adjectives
- Affable – friendly, easy-going and pleasant to talk to
- Ambitious – determined to succeed and reach goals
- Assertive – confident and self-assured; able to stand up for oneself and one’s beliefs
- Authentic – genuine and true to oneself; not fake or artificial
- Benevolent – kind, caring and generous, with a desire to do good for others
- Brave – courageous, not afraid to face challenges or danger
- Charismatic – possessing a compelling charm or appeal that inspires devotion in others
- Compassionate – empathetic, caring and understanding towards others who are suffering
- Confident – having faith in oneself and one’s abilities; self-assured
- Creative – imaginative, original and innovative
- Diplomatic – able to handle delicate or difficult situations with tact and sensitivity
- Empathetic – having the ability to understand and share the feelings of others
- Enthusiastic – passionate, energetic and eager to do things
- Gracious – courteous, kind and polite
- Honest – truthful and sincere; not deceptive or deceitful
- Humorous – having a sense of humor and able to make others laugh
- Independent – self-sufficient and able to take care of oneself
- Intuitive – able to understand or know something instinctively, without the need for conscious reasoning
- Optimistic – hopeful and positive, expecting good outcomes and opportunities
- Passionate – having strong emotions and intense feelings towards something or someone.
WHAT IS A PRESENT PARTICIPLE?
A word formed from a verb that ends in ing.
Sentence: He couldn’t stop laughing.
What is a Pronoun?
Pronouns are words that replace a noun.
A word formed from a verb that ends in ing.
Sentence: He couldn’t stop laughing.
What is a Collective Noun?
A collective noun is a word that refers to a group of things or animals as a single unit. Some common collective nouns are flock, herd, pack, and swarm.
What is a Prepositional Phrase?
A prepositional phrase is a group of words that begins with a preposition and ends with a noun or a pronoun. The preposition shows the relationship between the noun or pronoun and the verb.
What are Some Popular Synonyms?
Some popular synonyms are beautiful, pretty, handsome, and stunning.
What are Transition Words
Transition words are used to connect ideas, show relationships between ideas, and indicate the logic of thought or argument. They are used to signal the start and end of paragraphs, introduce new paragraphs, and connect related thoughts within a paragraph.
There we go! Over 500 descriptive words that will help you improve your writing! This list is always being updated as I find new describing words I like through reading and writing. Becoming a good writer and increasing your skill , and learning a new word is an endless quest. These are great words that can improve your follow-up comments or inline feedback on your writing.
And I hope that you found the list of adjectives, nouns, descriptive phrases, and verbs useful. And helps you get a little better and expand your vocabulary.
Check back for new descriptive words monthly!
Creative Writing Words Lists for Kids
More interesting words make for better creative writing projects. These lists of better descriptive words for kids make it easier for kids to choose better descriptive words for their next story.
Lists of interesting adjectives for elementary grades and middle school
Lists of action verbs for elementary grades and middle school.
List of adverbs for elementary grades and middle school
Creative writing prompts
Better describing words lists
Fill in the blank stories
Writing Games, Apps, Books
Creative Writing Posters
Printable Lesson Plans
Creative writing resources.
- Writing Prompts
- Creative Writing Worksheets